I don’t remember how I came across it, but I found the BringChange2Mind website the other day and felt it should be shared as much as possible. Lately the word suicide has been mentioned in the news way too much.
BringChange2Mind want to change the world by changing attitudes towards mental illness.
The BringChange2Mind Principles are a call to action, inspiring us to change the way we think about and relate to people living with mental illness. They tackle fear and stigma where they live – in all of us.
The BringChange2Mind Principles for People Living with Mental Illness
- I am living with a mental illness that is treatable and manageable.
- I am a valuable and valued person and I deserve to be treated with respect.
- I am responsible for the decisions and choices I make in my life.
- Educating myself about the symptoms of my illness, and any side effects I may have from treatment, will help me find and use the resources I need to work toward stability.
- Communicating about my experiences with others will help them support me in difficult times and keep me “on track.”
- If I am feeling suicidal, it is critical that I reach out for help, for in the face of real pain and suffering, it is others who can help me with a commitment to live.
- I can reduce stigma in myself and in others by being open about living with mental illness, naming it out loud and raising people’s awareness.
The BringChange2Mind Principles for Everyone
- It is likely that someone I know is living with a mental illness and that fear of stigma may be preventing them from accepting their illness and seeking help.
- I can make a difference by learning about mental health issues and the devastating effects of stigma.
- If someone I know exhibits sudden changes in behavior, I will pay attention and reach out to them.
- If someone I know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, I will take it seriously and make every effort to ensure they get help.
- I will not perpetuate or tolerate stigma of any kind and will commit myself to changing the way society views people living with mental illness.
I have pledged to follow these principles, will you join me?