Flicker’s Lair Blog

When the cows come home!

by Heidi on September 22nd, 2010

(No Ratings Yet)
Loading ... Loading ...

Oh, right – that was today! :)

Today we added three Dexter cows to our little farm, taking another step towards the ultimate goal of self-sufficiency. We chose Dexter’s because the are a small dual-purpose breed, although some call them triple purpose as they are good for milk, meat and for using as oxen. The Dexter is known for its hardiness, docility, thriftiness and calving ease, and is listed as vulnerable by Rare Breeds Canada.

Hope & Razzle Dazzle - Dexters cows Hope - Dexter yearling

We have two black five year-olds Millie and Razzle Dazzle and a red yearling called Hope.

Dexter cows & donkeys face-off

Dixie and Gus aren’t sure about the new arrivals, and the cows aren’t at all sure about living with donkeys! The sheep and Aspen at this point seem to be beyond being surprised by anything we ask them to deal with!

I love to know what you think so please rate my post or leave me a comment. If you really liked this post maybe you would consider sharing it. Thank you.

(No Ratings Yet)
Loading ... Loading ...

6 Comments

1. They look so settled in … :-) . Keep me posted on the calf!

Comment by Bill — September 22, 2010 @ 7:25 pm

2. They’re so pretty!!

Comment by Cheryl — September 22, 2010 @ 7:40 pm

3. Forgot to mention that Millie’s 1/2 sister Madge had a DUN bull calf for the folks who bought her! After Millie calves, you’ll likely want to breed her via AI to a bull carrying dun.

I really missed Millie at feeding tonight. She was always right under ‘foot’ … or hand, or bucket … just right there at the end of the line … waiting patiently. Faith, her best bud, didn’t even come into the barn for her handful of grain. I had to take it out to her.

Comment by Bill — September 22, 2010 @ 7:46 pm

4. Very nice looking cows…serious case of envy going on here.

Comment by Chriss — September 22, 2010 @ 8:37 pm

5. Well Chriss … I have another yearling heifer … and a 6 month old steer that may need a good home … :-)

I REALLY want to keep the heifer, though as she is such a sweetheart!

Comment by Bill — September 22, 2010 @ 9:08 pm

6. Oh my…they’re too cute. I can’t wait to meet all the new arrivals!

Comment by Kim — September 23, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.