This year we are determined to get a good crop of apples from our mature trees.
To aid our trees with their apple production they need to be pruned. This really should have been started last year but I missed the window of opportunity and it had to wait until this year. Armed with the knowledge taken from the “Lee Valley Tree Pruning” course I took last year and a couple of books from the library, I took to the trees.
Both of the trees have been out of control for what looks like a couple of years now and really needed a hard prune. I knew that at most I could only take 25 to 30 percent off. I decided to take some height off of both of them and also remove the branches that had some dead buds plus many of the branches that were growing into the center of the tree. By removing the inside branches I am allowing the tree to put more of it resources into new growth and fruit (hopefully).
The smaller of the two also needed a lot of attention. This one however also had to contend with the pines that surround it. To help it out I also removed a couple of the pines branches to remove some competition for the all important sun light.