Flicker’s Lair Blog

Adventures of an Aardvark

by Heidi on February 25th, 2010

(No Ratings Yet)
Loading ... Loading ...

On the weeks when there is a Bloggography challenge I like to try and combine the theme for You Capture with the Bloggography subject. This week that gave me Shapes and Aperture.

I was having trouble keeping the aperture numbers straight, and no matter how many times I read the blog post, by the time I got to my camera I had forgotten which way around it was! I was thinking around it trying to figure out how I could get this to stick in my head … large is shallow, small is deep … like water.

Water spread over a large area will make a shallow puddle, the same volume of water spread over a smaller area will make a deeper puddle. A large aperture will give a shallow depth of field and a small one a deeper depth of field.

American Tree Sparrow & American Goldfinch - aperture f3.2 American Tree Sparrow & American Goldfinch - aperture f8

I am always taking pictures of the birds on the feeder outside my office window so I thought that might be fun to try with, but they don’t stay still long enough for me to get exactly the same shot at different apertures, but these were pretty close.

I figured it might be easier to work with inanimate objects, and I love the different shapes of my collection of precious stones.

Adventures of an Aardvark - aperture f3.2 Adventures of an Aardvark - aperture f3.2 Adventures of an Aardvark - aperture f3.2

After, don’t ask me how many hours, I still wasn’t really happy with the results – although I liked them better after adding the Photoshop ‘Drybrush’ filter effect. Still fiddling with my stones I found this Tiger’s Eye that is shaped like a heart and it inspired me ….

Charlie has my heart - aperture f3.2

You Capture Give me your best shot Manic Mother

I love to know what you think so please rate my post or leave me a comment. If you really liked this post maybe you would consider sharing it. Thank you.

(No Ratings Yet)
Loading ... Loading ...

14 Comments

1. I love your example! I especially love the lat one with the dog in the background!

Comment by Lolli — February 25, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

2. I like the last one too! Great way to remember aperture, it took me forever to get it straight too!

Comment by Beth — February 25, 2010 @ 12:34 pm

3. Oh I LOVE your last photo! Your sweet puppy looks like a curious but obedient student.

The way I remember aperture/dof is simple. I leave my lens on very wide aperture almost all the time – I LOVE burry backrounds. I can’t help myself.

I promise you… leave your camera at the widest aperture you have (mine goes to f/1.8) for a whole week, and you will HAVE it in your head forevermore!

Comment by Jess — February 25, 2010 @ 12:54 pm

4. Oh, those birds must be cold! I’m glad you’re feeding them.

Comment by Chocolate Girl — February 25, 2010 @ 1:47 pm

5. Beautiful precious stone collection! I’m impressed that you manage to combine two challenges into one. My favorite is the last one (yep, I’m agreeing with everyone else!).

Comment by Susan — February 25, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

6. Very nicely done. The stones are beautiful. I don;t even know what aperature is so you passed in my book. :)

Comment by Upstatemomof3 — February 25, 2010 @ 3:43 pm

7. I love the aardvark! The blurry dog is a very nice touch.

Comment by Kathy — February 25, 2010 @ 8:04 pm

8. Love those shots of the stones…really cool! :) Great job. Thanks for your comments on my post, also!

Comment by Austin-Lee — February 25, 2010 @ 8:15 pm

9. Visiting from Lolli’s place and I love your depth of field examples! It’s something that I struggle with too and need to work on like you have. That last shot is awesome!

Comment by Cecily R — February 26, 2010 @ 11:01 am

10. Love the last shot! Beautiful!

Comment by Lena — February 26, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

11. Your analogy of the water is great!

Comment by Unknown Mami — February 28, 2010 @ 12:29 am

12. Heidi, you’re inspiring me to learn more about how to take better photos. I rely too heavily on Photoshop to help make up for my lack of camera knowledge.

Comment by AuthorMomWithDogs — February 28, 2010 @ 6:59 pm

13. Thank you all, I have so much fun with these photo challenges and I adore comments!

Comment by Heidi — February 28, 2010 @ 7:26 pm

14. What an inspired way to think of aperture. I have had to constantly reiterate what the numbers mean but your analogy makes such sense. Thanks :) I really like your photos too…especially that last one.

Comment by Marie — February 28, 2010 @ 8:55 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.