Flicker’s Lair Blog

Free Tree!

by Heidi on March 19th, 2009

(No Ratings Yet)
Loading ... Loading ...

A friend today told me about a great new program here in Ottawa to plant more trees and I just had to share it with you…..

The city of Ottawa has a plan to plant 100,000 trees between 2007 and 2010! How fabulous is that!

Even better one of the ways they are doing this is through individuals – so you can get a free tree from the city to plant on your property!

It is on a first-come, first-served basis, while quantities last so go register now! I have!

I love trees and we already have a plan to plant a number of trees on our property every year (although we haven’t agreed on a number yet). Last year we planted 3 fruit trees, this year I want to plant more fruit trees and if the budget stretches maybe even a couple of nut trees and sugar maples. And the city wants to help! *cheer*

Tree program

While I am typing, this post gives me the excuse I have been looking for to have a small, I suppose you could call it, rant….. I thought it was just me, that it was some flaw in my character that on receiving flowers rather than being cheered I feel forlorn and then guilty for being ungrateful!

Then I read this post on treehugger.comSend Me Dead Flowers in the Morning and was reassured to know I am not the only one.

Just for the record – I HATE cut flowers, they just make me feel sad, I would much rather see flowers growing or even better trees. So I beg you, if you ever find yourself overwhelmed by a desire to send me flowers :D please make sure they are still attached to their roots or even better send me a tree!

I love to know what you think so please rate my post or leave me a comment. If you really liked this post maybe you would consider sharing it. Thank you.

(No Ratings Yet)
Loading ... Loading ...

7 Comments

1. If I get the urge to send you cut floweres I could send you pansies.
    Louise

Comment by Louise — March 20, 2009 @ 1:38 am

2. :) Pansies have always been one of my favourite flowers!

Comment by Heidi — March 20, 2009 @ 9:03 am

3. I just registered for a free tree! haha hopefully Himself doesn’t mind! :o )

Comment by Emily — March 21, 2009 @ 4:53 pm

4. Regarding those cut flowers..
    No, I disagree. There is an industry around growing, harvesting and selling cut flowers. If such an industry did not exist, a segment of our economy would be severed (yes, pun), and there would be less demand to grow flowers. Have you thought of that? If people stop sending cut flowers, then less flowers would be grown, and the average rose would likely become extinct as competing species would likely wipe it out or it would evolve away from it’s significant form as we know it today.
    So by requesting that we stop appreciating each other with flowers, you are requesting that jobs be lost and that future flower seeds not be sown. At the expense of what? a rose without roots? Honestly….

Comment by A concerned citizen — March 23, 2009 @ 8:49 am

5. Interesting thoughts, but ….

I certainly didn’t intend to suggest that people stop sending cut flowers! :) I was simply stating that I prefer flowers that are still attached to their roots. On occasions that warranted appreciating me with flowers, Steve has given me potted miniature roses, or flowers that can be planted out in our garden. My roses sit on my windowsill and show me I am appreciated everyday; not just for the short time before wilting and dieing that cut flowers would have done.

Many people grow flowers in gardens, or in pots! To my knowledge roses in gardens are very popular so I can’t imagine that a reduction of the number of roses in the huge controlled greenhouses where cut flowers are grown would cause roses to become extinct!

There are also industries built around nuclear technologies and mass-producing puppies for sale in pet stores; and there was an industry based on human slavery. That these things are/were part of the economy doesn’t make them right! Not that I am comparing growing flowers to slavery, but you get the point!

Comment by Heidi — March 23, 2009 @ 10:05 am

6. Even better today I came across this alternative – http://www.ediblearrangements.com

Comment by Heidi — March 24, 2009 @ 10:18 pm

7. thanks !! very helpful post!

Comment by mark — April 15, 2009 @ 9:59 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.